What Is the HUBZone Program?
HUBZone stands for Historically Underutilized Business Zones, referring to small businesses that reside in underperforming business zones. Being a certified HUBZone business qualifies owners to contract preferences and access to federal contracting opportunities.
The program works by providing HUBZone maps business owners can use to determine their eligibility, while the government maintains a list of qualifying businesses that federal agencies can use as vendors. HUBZone certified companies can receive competitive and sole source contracting opportunities as well as subcontracting. The goal of this program is to ensure 3% of all federal prime contracts go to HUBZone certified firms.
Watch this video to learn more about the HUBZone program:
HUBZone Eligibility Requirements
Some of the eligibility requirements include:
- SBA standard small business
- Owned and controlled at least 51% by U.S. citizens, or a Community Development Corporation, an agricultural cooperative, or an Indian tribe
- Its principal office must be located within a “Historically Underutilized Business Zone,” which includes lands considered “Indian Country” and military facilities closed by the Base Realignment and Closure Act
- At least 35% of its employees must reside in a HUBZone
HUBZone Application Requirements
Some of the information required to apply for HUBZone Certification includes:
- Ownership information
- Recent business financials
- Tax returns
- Bonding information
- Employee information
- General business information
Popular HUBZone Industries
The top ten categories for HUBZone contracts are:
- Commercial and Institutional Building Construction
- Heavy Engineering and Civil Engineering Construction
- Computer Related Services
- Highway, Street, and Bridge Construction
- Facilities Support Services
- Engineering Services
- Security Guards and Patrol Services
- Research and Development
- Consulting Services
- Men’s and Boy’s Apparel
Contact us today to see how we can help you with your HUBZone Certification!
Learn More About Our SBA and HUBZone Certification Services
If you'd like an assessment of your needs and a fee estimate, please let us know how to reach you: