These Countries Offer Visas for Entrepreneurs
We have written from time to time about the opportunities for entrepreneurs from other countries to obtain non-immigrant visas by investing in an existing business or by launching a new enterprise in the United States. These visas are part of the U.S. E- 2 visa program. Permanent residency is also available through the U.S. government’s EB-5 program for investors who, in addition to investing a substantial amount of capital, also meet several other important requirements. We thought our readers may also be interested in learning about other countries that offer entrepreneur visa programs like the E-2 program in the U.S.
Most countries wish to increase the number of highly skilled people that immigrate to their nations. In addition, most countries wish to increase entrepreneurship which, in turn, will increase jobs. Many countries have found that an entrepreneur visa program is a very effective way to achieve both goals.
Our intent is not to provide all of the details of each program that we cite below. Rather, it is to give you a link to the websites that describe the programs in detail. You will then be able to compare programs and countries, and to decide which program best fits your specific requirements. We should mention that two things all of these programs have in common is that they each require a capital investment and they each require a comprehensive business plan that will document the nature of the business and how the business will successfully compete.
Here are the nations and programs we have identified:
- United Kingdom – Tier 1 (Entrepreneur Visa. Requirements include a knowledge of English, access to at least £50,000 of investment capital, a valid passport, and a business plan.
- Denmark – Start-up Denmark. Requirements include that your business idea must be approved by the government, proof that you can support yourself during the first full year, and you must participate actively in the management of the business.
- Sweden – Residence Permits for the Self-employed. Requirements include that you have experience in the business in which you intend to invest, knowledge of Swedish or English, that you will be running the business, and a capital investment of SEK 200,000 for you, SEK 200,000 for your spouse, and SEK 50,000 for each accompanying child.
- Ireland – Start-up Entrepreneur Program. Requirements include proof that your business has “high potential…in the innovation economy” and that you have access to €75,000 of funding.
- Singapore – EntrePass. Requirements include a valid passport, past employment testimonials in English, a business plan, and $50,000 on deposit in a Singapore-based bank account.
- New Zealand – Entrepreneur Work Visa. Many detailed requirements must be met to qualify for this visa. The big ones include that you have minimum capital of NZ$100,000 and a business plan. Check out Sections L and O first.
- Australia – Investors & Entrepreneurs Visa. There are 3 types of visas, and all require a substantial investment in capital and many other requirements including a business plan.
- Germany – Entrepreneur Visa for Germany. “Entrepreneurs must have a strong Business Plan with a superior economic motive.” Other requirements include sufficient capital and past entrepreneurial experience and success. The government insists that there is “no threshold investment,” although €250,000 is recommended.
There may be other similar programs that we have unintentionally omitted. If you know of one, please write to us and we will include that program in a future update. There is a Canadian program that we did not include because the capital requirements are very large and because at least some of the capital must come from Canadian investors.
Which of these programs best suits you? Once you have identified the one you want, go after it. These countries want your skill, talent, energy, and imagination. And don’t forget, our firm will help you along the way by assisting you in preparing a comprehensive business plan suitable for the country of your choice.
|Author(s)||Jimmy Lewin (other articles by Jimmy Lewin)|
|Original Publication Date||February 11, 2017|
About Cayenne Consulting. We help entrepreneurs get ready to seek funding by developing first-class pitch decks, business plans, and financial forecasts. If you'd like to learn more, please look around our website and contact us!