Fans of AMC’s Mad Men may be forgiven for thinking marketing is a glamorous field – a celebration of consumption and style in the ‘60s. Unfortunately, marketing in the 21st century has little to do with what is portrayed in this engaging TV series.
Today’s marketer needs to be part artist and part scientist. Artist, because creativity is still a valuable commodity. Scientist, because analytics rule in the modern world of marketing where everything can be tracked and measured.
Recently we came across a very interesting infographic in a blog on Salesforce.com (click on the image to view full size). It depicts the dual personality of the modern marketer: part artist, part scientist.
The Artist in a marketer is involved with:
- Written content: Your website needs to tell a compelling story. Every piece of collateral you produce needs to convey the same message in a way that moves your audience to action.
- Visuals: Attention grabbing visuals help you rise above the noise. Your prospect is being bombarded with marketing messages every second. You need to stand out with memorable visuals.
- Social media: This 21st century innovation is becoming one of the main ways businesses interact with their customers. Consumers are able to provide real-time feedback to businesses using social media, and businesses need to respond deftly.
- Email marketing: It is still the predominant way to reach your customers. It is critical to be concise, persuasive, and informative.
The Scientist in a marketer does the following:
- Performance tracking: It used to be said that half of all marketing budgets are wasted; managers simply had no way of telling which half. Given the rise of Internet as a predominant marketing medium, it is much easier to track performance and decide which tactics work better than others.
- Operations: Marketers need to be operations savvy. They need to understand the nuts and bolts of the four P’s of marketing: product, price, place and promotion. Marketing is so much more than mere communication.
- Analytics: Data mining is the greatest new weapon in a marketer’s arsenal. Now you can target your customers with greater focus than ever. It is important to keep on top of trends and figure out how to ride new trends.
- Campaign performance: Companies such as salesforce.com can help marketers analyze campaign performance in detail. You can track how customers are reacting to your company’s message in social media, online, radio, and TV, via modern campaign performance tools.
The ideal marketer combines the two personas – artist and scientist – in a way that blends the best of both worlds. It is not about being left-brained or right brained. It is about using your whole brain.